Friday, May 2, 2014

Anything

Jesus, I will do anything.



Sitting here on this rock in Karamoja, I hold out my two dirt-caked hands to Your throne. As my mzungu skin burns under the African noonday sun, I surrender it all, Father. This life is not my own. My lips form three syllables which I think could hold the weight of my whole life. With all the breath in my lungs I pray this word:

anything. 

I will do anything you ask. I’m offering You all I can hold in these weak arms. Take all my plans for this life, my desires, my passion and my frustration. Have my waking up to singing birds and my falling into bed after long days of defeat. Have my boda rides and my market shopping, my broken Luganda conversations and my tears when I think the world couldn’t be any more broken. Have all of Natalie, who I am and who I hope to be. I don’t even know what else to pray, but here under droopy green trees and crystal clear sky, I feel that this moment is somehow significant. This matters. This breath I’m using to pray these words is sacred. You’re here and you see me and this prayer of anything is more real than the bugs crawling on my toes or the mountains gracing the horizon. You’re right here, and I’m at your feet offering all that I know how to give. Have Your way in me, whatever that means. Anything to bring glory and honor to the name of Jesus Christ, Savior of my soul. You are my love, you are my heart, you are my life.



*I just finished reading Anything by Jennie Allen…you need to read this!!! It rocked my world over here in The Pearl of Africa, and I’m sure it will convict you and move you to surrender in your place, too! Maybe people think I’m already living a sacrificial life of surrender by moving to Uganda, but I’m a normal, selfish sinner, and Jennie Allen’s words have stirred in me a deeper surrender and a conviction to offer all of myself to The Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment